Wentworth Miller has revealed that he is, indeed, a gay man.

0


The surprise announcement came in a letter dated Aug. 21, addressed to the director of the St. Petersburg International Film Festival. Miller was invited to the fest as a special guest of honor by Maria Averbakh, but he declined, citing the current political climate in the country as it pertains to gays and lesbians.

"Thank you for your kind invitation. As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes," Wentworth, 41, says in the letter which was posted on GLAAD's website on Wednesday afternoon. "However, as a gay man, I must decline. I am deeply troubled by the current attitude toward and treatment of gay men and women by the Russian government. The situation is in no way acceptable, and I cannot in good conscience participate in a celebratory occasion hosted by a country where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly. Perhaps, when and if circumstances improve, I'll be free to make a different choice."

Miller's sexuality has been whispered about for years after he shot to fame in 2005 thanks to his hit show "Prison Break." He fielded countless questioned by the media about his private life, but was able to maintain a low profile throughout the show's 81-episode run and afterward. His credits include "Resident Evil: Afterlife," "House M.D." and the upcoming film "The Loft."

He once said, "No, I'm not gay. I know these rumors are out there. ... I'm cool with the fact that they exist, I mean this is about fantasy.

Certain people are going to have certain fantasies, if someone wants to imagine me with a woman, or a man or one of each that's cool with me as long as you keep watching the show."

Time has certainly changed and GLAAD spokesman Wilson Cruz is grateful for that. "Wentworth's bold show of support sends a powerful message to LGBT Russians, who are facing extreme violence and persecution: you are not alone," Cruz said in a statement. "As people from across the globe continue to speak out against Russia's horrific law, more celebrities and corporations should follow his courageous lead in openly condemning Russia's anti-LGBT law.

FREEEE AT LAAAAST!!

Wheeew!!!

Follow us on Facebook 

@thelillymelodyShow


0 comments: